Theodor Bilharz Research Institute
The control, diagnosis and treatment of endemic diseases and their complications especially those affecting the liver, the gastrointestinal and the urinary tracts, mainly as result of schistosomiasis and viral hepatitis. This is to meet the social, economic and technological needs of Egypt and the regional area.
To be a leading centre in research and training concerning diagnosis, control and management of endemic diseases in the region.
- Total: 1462 employees.
- The research Staff Members (in the fields of Medicine- pharmacology- Science and Agriculture): 244
- Assistant researchers & residents: 166
- Specialists, technicians & nurses: 464
- Clerical jobs & laborers: 588
R&D Annual Budget
- Total Annual Budget: 43.000.000 LE
- R&D Annual Budget: 8 million LE (including hospital expenditure)
The institute includes the following specialities : Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Nephrology, Public Health, Radiology, Anesthesia, Intensive care, Surgery, Urology, Clinical Chemistry, Electron Microscopy, Hematology, Microbiology, Pathology, Immunology, Parasitology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Environmental Research and Medical Malacology.
1- Laboratory Facilities
- Equipment for life cycle of schistosomes and biological and chemical control of snails
- Equipment for plant extraction and testing as molluscicides
- Atomic absorption apparatus to detect elements in water, soil.
- Equipment for parasitological studies of excreta and experimental parasitology
- Equipment for pharmacokinetic studies of drugs and trials for newer approaches of treatment ofschistosomiasis, using experimental models
- Equipment for preparation of antigens and antisera and diagnostic humoral immunology (utilizing column chromatography, ultrafiltration, lyophilization, gel techniques, ELISA, IFA, IEP,EITB, ...etc)
- Tissue culture unit for cellular immunology studies including tissue typing and monoclonal antibody production
- Equipment for protein chemistry purification and characterization-Molecular hybridization and PCR technology-Equipment for clinico-chemical investigations utilizing an autoanalyzer and including kinetic enzyme studies-Radio-isotope unit (Lab C)- Equipment for haematological investigations (blood picture, red and white cells and platelets studies, coagulation, bleeding and haemostatic alterations)- Equipment for blood banking-Equipment for aerobic and anaerobic culture and study of microbiology-
- Equipment for histopathology studies including immunohistochemistry, genetic and molecular studies aided by cell image analysis - Equipment for electron microscopic studies including immunolabeling, molecular procedures and image analysis of electronmicrographs - Field station for epidemiological studies and community participation of targeted population.
2- Clinical Research Departments Facilities
Three surgical theatres - Endoscopic facilities (colonoscopy, gastroduodenoscopy and ERCP) with ultrasonography and Doppler-electrocardiography- Laparoscopic facilities for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes-Minimal invasive urosurgery utilizing ureteroscopy; nephroscopy and cystoscopy, under fluoroscopic and endo-camera guidance-Blood gas monitoring with estimation of serum electrolytes- Twenty machines for haemodialysis
3- Animal House
The animal house is concerned with breeding of different standard strains of experimental :- Big animals e.g. sheep, goats and pigs-- Small animals e.g. mice, hamsters and rabbits.
4- Field Facilities
- Snail Research Station: for running snail researches under simulated natural conditions. lt is on 4000 m2 located 25 kilometers far from Cairo. It has 18 parallel ditches with muddy bottoms and sloping banks each 30 m long.Two channels at right angles to the ditches serve as common feeding and draining channels. This system of experimental ditches is supplied by underground water (40 m deep). It includes two field laboratories.
- Field research Unit : lt was established with the cooperation of the Ministry of Health since 1983, in Gezerat Mohamed village, Imbaba, Guiza three km to the north of TBRI for conducting field work. It has two rooms for clinical examination, a laboratory, a room for registration and another one for social studies and support of villagers.
5- The Library
- The library collection is mostly in English and they are in the field of liver and endemic diseases especially schistosomiasis and its complications.The total titles in the library are 4500 of which 1500 are for periodicals, 500 are for MD, Ph.D. and M.Sc. theses and 2500 are for books. The contents of the library have been kept and can be recalled using the Advanced Library Information System Soft ware (ALIS).
- Computers in the Library. This is in addition to a Local Area Network (LAN) of 10 PC's which are connected to a server and to the Egyptian National Scientific and Technical Information Network ENSTINET.Two digital photocopying machines are available.
6- Training Facilities
- The institute organizes annual training courses in various specializations running in the Institute. The Training and Consultation Unit" fulfills the requirements of trainees from scientific institutions and/or personnel from Egypt and regional countries.
- Annual international workshops on therapeutic endoscopy with the collaboration of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and the European Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy as well as annual international conference on infection control are held atTBRI.
- Annual International workshop on Infection Control
At the international Level
- TBRI was chosen in 1984 to be WHO collaborating center for the control of schistosomiasis in the Middle East.
- TBRI was chosen by the Organisation Mondiale de Gastroenterologie (OMGE) to host the Cairo Training Center (CTC) for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy for trainees from the Middle East and English speaking countries of Africa.
- TBRI staff member participated in the task force of the African Network of Drug/ Diagnostic Innovations (ANDI).This participation was on request of WHO to be representative on the level of North Africa.
- The endoscopy unit of TBRI has been selected by the World Organization of Digestive Endoscopy as the Egyptian Training Center (ETC).
- TBRI ranks among the important centers that provide training on the regional and African levels. It organizes successfully an annual international workshop on diagnostic and therapeutic gastrointestinal endoscopy since 1999 in collaboration with the American and European Societies of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and the annual International Workshop on Infection Control for 5 successive years.
- The schistosome biological supply center provides more than 20 international research institutions with all stages of the life cycle ofSchistosoma mansoni and haematobium.
- More than 50 research projects were implemented with the following international organizations and institutions : Gesellschaft fur Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ), Germany; United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP); World Health Organization (WHO); Carl Duisburg-Gesellschaft (CDG), Germany; Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD), Germany; Deutsche Forschungs-Gemeinschaft (DFG), Germany; French Cultural Centre (CEDIM), France; Institut Pasteur de Lyon, France; Canadian International Development and Research Centre (IDRC), Canada; United States Agency for International Development Bank (USADB); Islamic Bank (IB), United States Agency for International Development (US AID); Swedish International Development Authority (SIDA).
- Scientific Agreements were signed with Hopital Beaujon - Paris-VII, France, and Witten University /Herdeke ,Germany.
In the field of medicine and biotechnology
- Establishment of drug discovery unit
- Establishment of tissue engineering & culture unit.
- Establishment of a biotechnology and genetic engineering unit for research and development (R&D) of diagnostic kits and biopharmaceuticals for liver diseases.
- quality control for the 2008 Egypt Demographic and Health Survey (EDHS) for hepatitis C testing component funded by USAID.
- TBRI provided the Ministry of Health and Population(MOHP) with the information that the local brand ofthe antischistosomal (Distocide) drug has equal efficacy and bioavailability to the imported one (Biltricide). Approval of the efficacy of the local formulation saved the country the costs of importation ofthe foreign brand.
- Upon official request from the MOHP in Egypt and in a trial to avoid setting back all control measures undertaken to control schistosomaisis, the Institute provided the MOHP with the data concerning lack of evidence that the newly introduced antischistosomal drug "Mirazid" possesses any antischistosomal activity both experimentally and in school children and household members.
- Production of monoclonal antibodies for the early diagnosis of active schistosomiasis and Fascioliasis in serum and in tissues.
- Innovation of a technique for the processing of urine samples, simultaneously for light and electron microscopic examination, which enhanced the diagnostic sensitivity of urine cytology for malignant lesions.
- the recommendation of a regimen for renal dialysis that has been applied in all dialysis center in Egypt.
- Stem cell culture and the start of experimental trial for stem cell transplantation.
- Detection of anti-fasciola IgG4 as a specific diagnostic marker for fascioliasis.
- Invention of a new device used in anesthesia called" Tracheal tube - bronchial tree ".
- Invention of a device for epidural identification and catheterization using continuous hydrostatic pressure.
- The state award in medical sciences was awarded to five of the researchers for their achievements in haematology, pharmacology, nephrology, urosurgery and anaesthesia.
- The American Biological Institute, Relaig, North Carolina 27622 USA award one of our researcher the distinguished leaderships in the fourth International Directory of Distinguished Leadership,1992.
- the Silver Medal from Cambridge university was awarded to one of our researcher for her work done to simplify some laboratory techniques.
- Inclusion of the bibliography of one of our researcher in Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2006 and Who's Who in the world 2008 for her scientific achievement. Also, the bibliography of another researcher was included in Who's Who in Science and engineering.
- One of the staff members ofTBRI was awarded the Arab Women Organization Award for science and technology in biological sciences, 2008.
- Many posters presented by the institute staff members in international conferences were awarded prices of the best poster.
Scientific Research Projects (running)
- 12 Projects in collaboration with international organizations and Institutions.
- 5 projects in cooperation with foreign countries in the frame of combined agreements (Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, University of Pittsburg, USA, University of California San Diego, USA, Lund University, Sweden, Swiss Academy for Medical Sciences and Velux Foundation.,
- 1 project funded by WHO.
- 1 project in cooperation with Yamagata university faculty of medicine.
- 5 projects in cooperation with Beaujon hospital,France, in the frame of the Egyptian French Scientific and Technological cooperation program, IMHOTEP.
- 5 Projects funded by Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT).
- 54 Projects funded byTheodor Bilharz Research Institute (TBRI).
- International Publications: 80.
- National Publications: 40.
Address :Kornish EI-Nile, Warak EI-Hadar - Giza
Tel: +2 0235401019 Fax: +2 0235408125
عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته.
webpage : www.tbri.sci.eg